HISTORY OF THE GERMAN CULTURAL CENTRE
The German Canadian Club Concordia was founded on March 23, 1957, at a time when German immigrants were arriving in Canada eager to start a new life; many of which began their new way of living in the Canadian prairies. Many immigrants felt more at home in the company of friends while speaking their own language, and they concluded that it would be great to have a club where families could gather and enjoy German food, drinks, song and "Deutsche Gemütlichkeit". After many meetings, the German Canadian Club Concordia of Saskatoon was founded in the basement of the King George Hotel. Soon after that the Concordia Soccer Club was established and had some of the best players in Saskatchewan.
In the summer of 1968, the first clubhouse was opened in the former Chicken Inn. The club did not have a single employee and was run by solely by members, including Sunday afternoon coffee and cake, which is a German tradition.
The Club joined Saskatoon Folkfest right from the start in 1980 and has been a member ever since. Every year, the German Pavilion has become one of the biggest Folkfest attractions inside and outside the Concordia Clubhouse. Beer, Bratwurst, Hocks, Sauerkraut and Schnitzel are crowd pleasers and great fundraisers for the Club.
In 2009, a fire destroyed the beautiful Concordia Klubhaus. The members were devastated, but did not give up. After many meetings, fundraising campaigns and planning sessions, the construction work of the new building started in 2010. The new facility opened in June 2011, 19 months after the fire, and a new chapter began, the German Cultural Centre.
As a non-profit organization, we are constantly adding new members and organizations to the Centre who make use of our new and better facility for many cultural activities and events. We encourage people of all cultural backgrounds to become members and join in the German fun!